The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has issued an alert for a recall on Sportmix pet food due to potentially fatal levels of aflatoxin.
FDA received reports of 28 dogs that have died after consuming recalled Sportmix pet food.
This is a toxin produced by mold and can cause illness and death in pets, according to the FDA.
The FDA said toxin can be present even if the mold is not visible.
Here is a list of dry pet food products involved in the recall:
- 50 lb. bag of Sportmix Energy Plus
- 44 lb. bag of Sportmix Energy Plus
- 50 lb. bag of Sportmix Premium High Energy
- 44 lb. bag of Sportmix Premium High Energy
- 31 lb. bag of Sportmix Original Cat
- 15 lb. bag of Sportmix Original Cat
FDA is warning pet owners to throw the product away and sanitize pet food bowls, scoops, and storage containers immediately.
“Aflatoxins are a family of toxins produced by certain fungi that are found on agricultural crops such as maize (corn), peanuts, cottonseed, and tree nuts. The main fungi that produce aflatoxins are Aspergillus flavus and Aspergillus parasiticus, which are abundant in warm and humid regions of the world. Aflatoxin-producing fungi can contaminate crops in the field, at harvest, and during storage.” Source: National Cancer Institute